Dou·la – a woman who is trained to assist another woman during childbirth and who may provide support to the family after the baby is born.
Welcoming a new baby is an exciting, and sometimes can be an overwhelming time in your lives.
Port City Doulas understands this and we are here to offer you and your family support!
From the moment you become a client with a Port City Birth Doula, your well-matched, experienced doula team goes on-call for you, providing unbiased, continual support and reassurance until after you birth.
Each Port City Doula works closely with a backup doula who you will meet and get to know during your prenatal period to ensure continuity in care.
While no two doula-client relationships are the same and each of our Doulas come with their own experiences and unique skills, all Birth Doula clients will receive:
- Access to a monthly Expecting Mama Circle with rotating topics surrounding labor and birth, facilitated by a practicing Doula
- A private, in-home meeting with your primary doula team at or before 36 weeks
- Unlimited phone and email support during your care with PCD
- Continuous in-person support during your labor and birth
- Support immediately following birth
- An in-person check-in from your doula within 24 hours of birth
- A phone call from our Lactation team within the first few days of birth; ensuring feeding is off to good start or to make a plan for additional support, as needed
- An in-person postpartum follow-up visit with your birth doula in your home
- A phone call with one of our postpartum doulas to answer any newborn or recovery related questions or to line up additional services with postpartum doula support.
Port City Doula offers everything from labor and birth preparation, sibling integration, newborn care and breastfeeding classes to Birth + Postpartum Doula services. We have a growing Lactation Team to answer all of your infant feeding questions and help support YOUR goals for breastfeeding success.
Port City Doula is a local collective of professionals who are offering a complete range of community oriented and family-centered services for the pregnancy and the early newborn stages of life.
We are a collective of Birth and Postpartum Doulas, Nurses, Lactation Counselors, Birth and Newborn Educators, Early Education Providers. Our list of services are still growing and we can’t wait for what’s next!
MEET THE DOULAS
Meet the Doulas
Birth & Post Partum Doula; Certified Lactation Counselor, Lamaze Certified Child Birth Educator
Kirsten began her training with ALACE (the Association of Labor Assistants and Childbirth Educators) soon after and went on to train as a Doula with toLabor. After being an active doula for several years she renewed her interest in teaching and took a Lamaze training in 2013. She has taken over 150+ hours of additional training in the areas of breastfeeding support and newborn care. As of 2018 she is now a Certified Lactation Counselor ALAPP (Academy of Lactation Policy and Practice), and trained Port Partum Doula with DONA International. Currently she is enrolled in a comprehensive course for supporting families with botanical medicine. She keeps current CPR and NRP certifications as well. She has been working with families in Southeastern NC since 2008 and has attended 80+ births in home and hospital settings. She has experience with supporting un-medicated births, VBAC births, inductions, epidurals, and cesarean births (planned and unplanned) with a variety of care providers. She also has experience providing postpartum support to families welcoming singles and twins. Her goal when working with a family is that they feel supported in their journey and that support will give them confidence as they transition into parenthood. She offers group classes at The Bump as well as private in home classes and lactation assistance, and birth and postpartum doula care and information and resources for your growing family. Check out the calendar for the upcoming childbirth classes.
Kendra believes in empowering woman and families through education of ALL choices and options available during prenatal period, labor, birth, and the first few months with your little one at home. She prides her work on incorporating relaxation therapy that accommodates the individual family’s need and supports you in the decision making process to optimize your individual birth and postpartum experience.
Kendra has experience working with clients in both hospital and home settings, Bradley Method, induction, VBAC, un-medicated birth, medicated birth, single mamas, and birth mama/adoption births. Services she provides include birth doula support, postpartum doula support, birth childcare support, and trusted childcare “babysitting” in Wilmington and surrounding areas.
Meet the doulas at The Bump and Beyond with our free support groups and circles. Always facilitated by a practicing local doula!
Find these listings and more here.
"If a doula were a drug it would be unethical not to use it." Klause
We would be thrilled to work with you. Each of our Doulas is a trained and experienced Birth Doula working in the Port City.
By providing our community with a continuous model of care, through classes, information sharing and one to one support, we hope to ease the transition into parenthood with less stress and more joy with our clients feeling supported every step of the way.
This is a one hour consultation with any one of our Port City Doulas and will provide you the opportunity to get to know us. This hour is just for you and your partner to get your questions and concerns answered and to chat with our doulas about what sets us apart from everyone else! This is the your first step in hiring us as your doula!!
We look forward to working with you! xoxo PCD
Please allow up to 24 hours for a call to schedule your consultations with our Doulas.
-Laura Stavoe Harm
What Do We Do?
Not sure you need a doula for labor but would love a guide for pregnancy? This is your cup o tea! We can develop a simple plan put together your registry, plan out your home possibilities are endless!
Birth Doula Services
- Birth Wishes Planning
- Postpartum Planning
- Comfort Measures and Positioning
- Induction Support
- Cesarean Birth Support
- Initial Latching and Breastfeeding Education
Post Partum Services
- Breastfeeding, pumping and bottle feeding education and support
- Formula feeding assistance
- Overnight support
- Gentle guidance and support for common breastfeeding issues such as latching, positioning, nursing in public, etc.
- Infant bonding and soothing techniques
- Assistance with self-care postpartum recovery for both vaginal deliveries and cesarean sections
- A watchful eye and heart for postpartum mood disorders
- Non-judgmental support of all parenting styles
- Light housework and meal preparation
- Sibling and spouse support
- And so much more
Sibling Doula Services
Infant Feeding, Breastfeeding, Or Pumping Questions? We Have Answers.
Our In-office And In Home Lactation Support Provides Convenience And Understanding Without Any Judgement Or Agenda.